- Mona Lisa © Musée du Louvre
- Architecture and Engeneering
- Aspects of Science
- General monographs
- Sources and facsimilies
Architecture and Engeneering
- Leonardo architect - C. Pedretti
London, Thames and Hudson, 1986. The most complete review of Leonardo as an architect.
- Leonardo da Vinci: engineer and architect - P. Galluzzi
Montreal, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1987. A publication containing valuable interpretations of Leonardo setting the context for his activities.
- L’Architettura fortificata negli studi di Leonardo da Vinci - P. Marani
Florence, L.S. Olschki, 1984. A publication focusing on military architecture.
- The Renaissance engineers from Brunelleschi to Leonardo da Vinci - P. GalluzziTop
Florence, Giunti, 1996. Another publication containing valuable interpretations of Leonardo and his activities.
Aspects of Science
- La matematica di Leonardo da Vinci - A. Marinoni
Milan, Arcadia, 1982. The best review of Leonardo’s mathematics.
- Leonardian fluid mechanics - E. Macagno
Iowa, Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research University of Iowa, 1986-98. A series of monographs providing a comprehensive analysis of the water drawings and notes.
- Leonardo as a physiognomist - M. Kwakkelstein
Leiden, Primavera Pers, 1994. On the physiognomics aspect of Leonardo's work.
- Leonardo cartografo - C. Starnazzi
Florence, Istituto Geografico Militare, 2003. A publication exploring Leonardo’s geological interests.
- Leonardo da Vinci. Elements of the science of man - K. Keele
London, Academic, 1983. A publication that sets Leonardo’s anatomical researches into the context of his thought.
- Linear perspective and the visual dimensions of science and art - K.Veltman
Münich, Deutscher Kunstverlag, 1986. A comprehensive treatment of Leonardo’s optics.
- The writings and drawings of Leonardo da Vinci: order and chaos in early modern thought - R. ZwijnenbergTop
New York, Cambridge University Press, 1999. A good introduction to Leonardo’s thought.
- Leonard de Vinci. Dessins et manuscrits - F. Viatte
Paris, Musée du Louvre, 2003. An exhibition catalogue that contains important scholarship and essays by various authors.
- Leonardo da Vinci master draftsman - C. Bambach
New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2003. This catalogue of the exhibition that took place at the Metropolitan Museum, Leonardo da Vinci Master Draftsman, contains important scholarship and essays by various authors.
- The drawings of Leonardo - A.E. Popham
London, Jonathan Cape, 1947. With an introduction by M. Kemp, London, Pimlico, 1994.
The best compact collection of Leonardo's drawings.
- The drawings of Leonardo da Vinci - K. Clark and C. PedrettiTop
London, Phaidon, 1968. The important collection of drawings at Windsor is catalogued in this book. A rewarding series of exhibitions of the Windsor drawings have also been accompanied with catalogues by Lady J. Roberts and M. Clayton.
- Achademia Leonardi Vinci - Edited by C. Pedretti
A regular journal which publishes bibliographical updates and new research on Leonardo.
- Inventing Leonardo - A. R. Turner
New York, Knopf, 1993. A discussion of Leonardo’s posthumous reputation.
- Leonardo da Vinci - F. Zöllner and J. Nathan
Cologne, Taschen, 2003. The most comprehensive and fully illustrated recent catalogue on Leonardo.
- Leonardo da Vinci - P. Marani
New York, Harry N. Abrams, 2003. The most recent in a series of notable monographs and catalogues by Marani, which also includes a useful apparatus in collaboration with E. Villata.
- Leonardo da Vinci, edited by M. Kemp - K. Clark
London, Penguin Books Ltd, 1993. This remains the most eloquent introduction to Leonardo as an artist.
- Leonardo da Vinci. The marvellous works of nature and man - M. Kemp
London, Everyman, 1989. This publication covers the full range of Leonardo’s work and thought.
- Leonardo da Vinci: origins of a genius - D. A. Brown
New Haven, Yale University Press, 1998. A perceptive account of Leonardo’s artistic origins.
- Leonardo da Vinci: studi e ricerche, 1952-1990 - A. Chastel
Torino, Einaudi, 1995. A useful collection of a series of perceptive studies on Leonardo.
- Leonardo’s writings and theory of art, 5 vols - Edited by C. Farago
London, Garland Publishing, 1999. A valuable collection of writings on Leonardo from early accounts to modern scholarship.
- L’illustre incomprise – Mona Lisa - A. Chastel
Paris, Gallimard, 1988. A discussion of the strange history of the Mona Lisa.
- Raccolta Vinciana - Edited by P. MaraniTop
A regular journal which publishes bibliographical updates and new research on Leonardo. · A series of translations by J. Venerella of the manuscripts held by the Institut de France are being published by the Raccolta Vinciana from 1999 onwards.
Sources and facsimilies
- Codice atlantico - Edited by C. Pedretti with transcriptions by A. Marinoni
Florence, Giunti, 2000.
A compact, 3-volume version of the huge Codice atlantico.
- Commentary, 2 vols - C. Pedretti
Oxford, Phaidon, 1977. One of the standard anthologies of excerpts from Leonardo's manuscripts in translation.
- Edizione nazionale dei manoscritti e dei disegni di Leonardo da Vinci -
Florence, Giunti, 1964 onwards. Since 1964 facsimiles of Leonardo’s manuscripts have been published by Giunti. They were earlier published under the auspices of the Reale Commissione Vinciana. Recent transcriptions, generally accompanying the Giunti facsimiles, are by the major scholars of Leonardo’s manuscript legacy, C. Pedretti and A. Marinoni.
- I Documenti e le testimonianze contemporanee - E. Villata
Milan, Ente Raccolta Vinciana, Castello Sforzesco, 1999. A publication on the documentation of Leonardo’s life.
- Leonardo da Vinci: libro di pittura - C. Pedretti
Florence, Giunti, 1995. The standard edition of Leoanrdo's Treatise on Painting.
- Leonardo da Vinci’s Paragone: a critical interpretation - C. Farago
New York, Brill, 1991. A publication focusing on the Paragone (“comparison of the arts”), which opens the Treatise on Painting.
- Leonardo on Painting - Edited by M. Kemp, translations by M. Kemp and M. Walker
New Haven and London, Yale University Press, 1989. An accessible anthology of Leonardo’s writings on art.
- The literary works of Leonardo da Vinci, 2 vols - J. P. Richter
Oxford, Dover Publications, 1970. One of the standard anthologies of excerpts from Leonardo's manuscripts in translation.
- The notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci, 2 vols - J. McCurdyTop
London, Reynal & Hitchcock, 1938. One of the standard anthologies of excerpts from Leonardo's manuscripts in translation.